Tinnitus (a constant)

What have you lost ? What have you found ?

Re: Tinnitus (a constant)

Postby Myxr » Tue May 15, 2012 1:53 am

After digging, soul searching, and trial and error, I have found a rather effective, and inexpensive, treatment.

Being a music junkie, I found something that sounded really interesting. There is a new 'drug' called idose. It uses binaurals, and headphones.

Basically, the app plays 2 different, but very similar sounds thr the headphones, one in each ear. Your brain then synthiszes a 3rd. (This can give you an effect of any illegal drug, or so they say)

So, here is my train of thought. If in complete dead silence, I can hear a sound, then I have to find the binaural that makes my brain synthisize this sound.(this would 'prove' to my brain that the noise during silence isn't sound, just a product of itself)

And I'll call it a success up tothis point. I hae noticed a considerable drop in the volume of the ringing, and it has also 'detuned'. Every 3 or 4 sessions I have to tweek in the freqencies... I dunno wheather this is good or bad. I have given myself over 30 sessions, no doctor, no prescription, just had to buy a decentpair of headphones.
ZT Minor Pentatonic 9 (#433; Judith Marie)

"Body fueled by pain and poison,
Mind starved of rhyme and reason.
Acceptance is a state of mind,
Except you change your mind."
Myxr
HandPan Lover

Postby TheHoff » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:35 am

A doctor recomended something quite like what you described to a family friend for her severe tinnitus.

He prepared MP3-recordings that were put on an iPod and then listened to for a set period every day. I believe they also worked on getting the frequencies in check every now and again. As far as I know, she (family friend) has had quite a lot of success with the treatment.

And on top of everything else, it makes a lot of sense. :)
SPB E/Romanian/Hijaz (2013 architecture) - An absolute beauty!
Bali Steel #305 Minor Pentatonic - Professionally retuned by our man in Russia. - For sale!

Cajonico (custom Bubinga top)
TheHoff
Crazy about HandPan

Postby Peter Pan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Apparently stress can be an underlying cause as well. Perhaps because of the link to increased blood pressure which I believe is also a factor...
AM Drums - Hijaz
Idiopan 12" (currently tuned to Pygmy)

Pumpin' iron, playing steel...
Peter Pan
Lives to HandPan

Postby Tom » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:51 pm

I've had this for most of my life, having spent part of my youth exposed to gunfire and exploding things. Caffiene seems to aggravate mine, but without caffeine I seem to aggravate my family. As Nietze probably meant to say, " That which does not kill us, makes our ears ring".
Tom
HandPan Fan

Postby Curt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Sorry to hear/read that Tom. Nice quote !
Curt
Steel is in my veins

Postby Baqua » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:30 am

Hi Myxr,
I just read about your situation. I am an acupuncturist in Northern California which wouldn't help you much but I have treated many cases of tinnitus successfully. You want to find a qualified one; (cost of tx doesn't always determine the quality you would receive, prices vary according to demographics.) Just check around, see what others have to say about an acupuncturist, how many years of practice, ck out their office before making an appt etc. It might take several visits. IF you have nerve damage it won't be successful. Best of luck.
Baqua
Crazy about HandPan

Postby CarolW » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:53 am

Baqua wrote:Hi Myxr,
I just read about your situation. I am an acupuncturist in Northern California which wouldn't help you much but I have treated many cases of tinnitus successfully. You want to find a qualified one; (cost of tx doesn't always determine the quality you would receive, prices vary according to demographics.) Just check around, see what others have to say about an acupuncturist, how many years of practice, ck out their office before making an appt etc. It might take several visits. IF you have nerve damage it won't be successful. Best of luck.

Baqua - thanks a lot for that post. Tinnitus is no fun. If ever it seems to threaten me, I'll check out local acupuncturists; I think we have some good ones. Very glad we have you-and-your-skills-and-knowledge with us! Greatly increases the value of the community. :D :dd: :dance: :dd:

Mon, 18 Mar 2013 18:53:04 (PDT)
CarolW [AKA PollyAnna] - Great Green Gros(s)Beak
Vortex of the D-Lyrians
In my lap: SPb-Pantam Kurd 9 - Thanks Victor and Forum
CarolW
Can't stop talking about Handpan

Postby Baqua » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:23 am

Thanks, Carol, I see that everyone in the Forum has something unique to offer; whether it be a unique or different way to look at things, a sense of humor, an ability to say things straight up or, as YOU offer, the best of she-mail hugs! <3
Baqua
Crazy about HandPan

Postby CarolW » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:27 am

Baqua wrote:Thanks, Carol, I see that everyone in the Forum has something unique to offer; whether it be a unique or different way to look at things, a sense of humor, an ability to say things straight up or, as YOU offer, the best of she-mail hugs! <3

With that, I can't resist indulging in a fantasy story, with some of my nonsense - irresistible to me! :lol:

You're so right; each forum member is unique and offers uniquely as a result. About those hugs; I prefer hugging people to hugging trees. I could hug quite a few different handpans - even Hangs - and Halos and BElls and SPbs, and I'm sure, also, some from the new builders, including Echopans b Ezahn, and those of , Mark Wilson and, of course, Saraz by don Marco.

If I hug a handpan, my hug could be dangerous to its health, as I might drop the pan by mistake. When Colin was here with two pans, I was impossibly paranoid about the possibility of dropping one - same when Gem was here with his Halo. All the same, I easily have a huge urge to hug a handpan.

Then, also, recognizing the utter dedication and artistry of the builders, the builders are in great danger of being hugged by me if I should meet them somewhere. (Same as with flamenco for me.) And also, handpan PLAYERS may suffer the same fate. So if you don't want to be hugged, don't come within my reach after playing something really lovely!

And, by extension, if you play some OTHER instrument, perhaps along with handpans, you are also in danger of being hugged by me (and perhaps also being licked to death by Camellia). (00)

Well, Baqua, if you need somebody to hold somebody down for acupuncture, perhaps Camellia and I could do that job together. And we'll add our energies to the anti-tinnitus effort.

Somehow, I think it's time for me to retire for the night!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz :dd: :dance: :dd:

Mon, 18 Mar 2013 22:27:41 (PDT)
CarolW [AKA PollyAnna] - Great Green Gros(s)Beak
Vortex of the D-Lyrians
In my lap: SPb-Pantam Kurd 9 - Thanks Victor and Forum
CarolW
Can't stop talking about Handpan

Postby Haris » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:07 am

Wow. I mean I'm more than glad to see you are doing well now. Tinnitus is new to me and the mere explanation you gave was f**king terrifying. I mean for that to happen to a musician or just a music lover that can be potentially soul crushing so I am happy to see were not too down. But damn what surprises me most is the way you have started treating it! That's damn cool and am overjoyed that it has improved the quality of your life with minimal effort (no surgerys, pills etc) Technology/Science can really rule sometimes! :D
Haris
HandPan Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Lost and Found