Tinnitus (a constant)

What have you lost ? What have you found ?

Tinnitus (a constant)

Postby Myxr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:03 am

After a recent car accident where a drunk lady hit me at a red light, then drove off... I'm left with a new 'friend'.

Its name is tenitus (sp?), its a constant high-pitched ringing in both ears.

No cure, no explanations on how or why.

I am left with this new 'friend' and I can't seem to enjoy music like I once did.

I feel lost.

****EDIT: fixed subject name
Last edited by Myxr on Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZT Minor Pentatonic 9 (#433; Judith Marie)

"Body fueled by pain and poison,
Mind starved of rhyme and reason.
Acceptance is a state of mind,
Except you change your mind."
Myxr
HandPan Lover

Re: Tenitus (a constant)

Postby AmonRa » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:52 am

Hi there :)

I'm not wanting to sound like a tree-hugger, but I warmly suggest acupuncture and alternative medicines if traditional medicine can't do anything about it. A bunch of my friends and clients got rid of so-called uncurable allergies and a pletora of similarly hopeless conditions through not-really-mainstream methods.
Worth a shot, especially if meds and surgery don't work. Stay away from whoever charges you more than 50-75 bucks a session though. Those are the lowlives.

Take care :)
Halo Genesis 2nd Batch prototype Klezmara scale #281, (B) F# B C D# E F# G B
Halo Stratus Yu Shan Diao, in Jade Mountain Mode/Gmin Penta (G) Bb C D F G Bb C D
SPB Harmonic Minor (G) C D D# F G G# B C D
AmonRa
Crazy about HandPan

Postby Heavenly3lues » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:24 am

My father just went last week to a homeopathic doctor after years of medical doctors couldn't cure his Tinnitus. I will let you now how it turns out for him. He's got a two week regimen to stick to before going back.
Studio albums available!
www.jeremyarndt.com

Download my live sets - Name your price!
www.heavenly3lues.bandcamp.com

Heavenly3lues
Steel is in my veins

Postby David_K » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Hey Myxr,

I had this for two years and I had a hard time dealing with it.
I certainly feel with you man, it's a tough one.
I got cured, of course all normal doctors had long given up.
A friend of mine who also cured mine 10 years ago (although with a different method), is developing and working with a therapy that has helped quite a few people and reduced and sometimes erased their tinnitus.
It doesn't involve any medication, but is based on re-training the hearing.
Unfortunately all therapists who work with his method are located in Germany so far.
There are a bunch of alternative methods that can help, it's a bit tricky to find the one that is the "right" one for you.
How long ago was the car accident?
David_K
Lives to HandPan

Postby Sounds-Like-Me » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:15 pm

I have had tinnitus for the good part of 50 years now.
Can be annoying when it's really quiet but normally seem to be able to ignore it (that tock some years).
It is also a good indicator as to how much I have been over doing things.
When I am really at a low ebb it gets worse so I have to "listen" to the signal ;)
The fortunate thing is it does not seem to affect my ability to hear !
I seem to hear more than most people (even those much younger than me).
I even still hear some types of bats !
Same-Old-Me
Sounds-Like-Me
Crazy about HandPan

Re: Tinnitus (a constant)

Postby Myxr » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:12 am

July 2nd was the day the accident happened.

The first few days, my head was 'swimming'. After that, my ears only occaisionally rang (rung? :lol:), or I just didn't pay attention to it.

But, yes, when I focus on the ringing, it gets louder.

My car stereo sounds horrible now, all the lows are muffled and the highs aren't there...

After speaking with my father about it, he says he has been diagnosed with it. 'They' say that tinnitus could be genetically transferred at birth, but its not 100% certain. And he has worked on jets for 20 smething years, so it was probably something aquired from that.

I just don't understand... never saw this coming.

Myxr
HandPan Lover

Postby greenoak » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:58 am

Check out this article titled, "Tinnitus discovery could lead to new ways to stop the ringing"

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-09-t ... -ways.html

-greenoak :ugeek:
----
As you feed on men and things, so they feed upon you. Be wholesome food to others if you would not be poisoned.

Mikhail Naimy The Book of Mirdad
greenoak
Admin

Postby levinson.victor » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:39 am

Myxr wrote:After a recent car accident where a drunk lady hit me at a red light, then drove off... I'm left with a new 'friend'.

Its name is tenitus (sp?), its a constant high-pitched ringing in both ears.

No cure, no explanations on how or why.

I am left with this new 'friend' and I can't seem to enjoy music like I once did.

I feel lost.

****EDIT: fixed subject name

David K. a member of this forum once posted that he has cured somehow from it, even though the doctor said he will have to live with it.

perhaps you could contact him and ask...
levinson.victor
Steel is in my veins

Postby Myxr » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:42 am

During a long hiatus, I've met with quite a few people that also have met my new friend. Most of which are ina musical career, and have overcome this annoying trait.

I have to say, I am still plauged by this ringing, although I have found through careful 'training' I'm starting to gain some lows back. No luck on the higher frequencys yet, but still hopefull.

Myxr
HandPan Lover

Postby jong loehr » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:01 pm

i've been an assistant therapist in a tinnitus-therapy in heidelberg/germany once. they use an interesting way of therapy as they don't try to focus on other things (like other therapies do) but directly on the frequency your tinnitus is. by that they reach a kind of overstimulation in the neuronal region where your tinnitus is processed. after a week of therapy they reduce the loudness of the tinnitus for a signifikant level.

and its music-therapy!

unfortunately the manual is copy-right-protected and so i'm not allowed to post the methods here although they are very simple.
just the idea -
- biologic: focus on the tinnitus, listen to the frequencies relating to your tinnitus, try to listen, to sing, to play around. and do that the whole day.
- social: try to relax, learn that the appearance of the tinnitus is a signal for you that you are stressed. get in contact to yourself and mention the earlier signals to avoid the tinnitus (not working if you are in stadium one - constant tinnitus)
- psychic: this sound has to tell you something! go listen to that. maybe you have to change something. ask yourself: "what would happen, if this sound would disappear immidiately?" "what is the positive effort of my tinnitus?" "what can my answers tell about the tinnitus?"
imagine i would be a famous prof. dr. habil. et al. with a lab coat and would ask about 1000€ for this therapy. yet this can help (as it does in heidelberg)...

brain is tremendously flexible, you can modify it by will!

good luck and get well soon.
jong loehr
HandPan Lover

Next

Return to Lost and Found