Who does also wait 18 months or longer for his Zenhandpan?

Warnings of suspect sales.

Re: Who does also wait 18 months or longer for his Zenhandpan?

Postby bq » Tue May 22, 2018 3:42 am

Ellis have you tried to contact to Manny’s facebook??

And ask to Char for a refunding??

If you spend time in facebook i saw someone got a refunding last year

I am very interested if anyone gives information about the status of its order

How can zenhandpans continue accepting orders of work??

I will wait until to complete my year of waiting how we agreed before of thinking insane things but seeing my others partners

i dont want to imagine how it will end but the people with two years of waiting... simply incredible!!

Ellis you have to ask for what is yours.
bq
HandPan Fan

Postby Elis » Tue May 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi bq

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I contacted Manny at facebook - no reaction.
Yesterday I've got an answer from Char, that Manny "... is beginning the tuning sometime this week, at the latest next week. He is finishing up the last one in front of you...."

Actually it feels not that hopeless it was during the last months. I'm waiting out the next few weeks and then we see, what's going on. Something at the bottom of my heart is still believing, that this story could take a good end. ... not thinkable, if that's story truth would be a scam ...

Elis
Elis

Postby wednesdayrenee » Thu May 31, 2018 11:07 pm

Please let us know what ends up happening! Char got back to me almost a month ago now and said that they had recently shipped out some handpans, but that there were still a dozen or so in front of mine.
wednesdayrenee

Postby bq » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:41 am

Manny looks very busy during his holidays in Maui.

Many years i’ve waited for getting 2000 euros for a handpan and that’s the result?
bq
HandPan Fan

Postby bq » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:34 am

bq
HandPan Fan

Postby jani » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:15 am

I am in the 18th month after paying full fee in advance (what a terrible business model ! and bad on me for falling into this scheme!). This is a really bad business model and an obvious trap. Manny is non-existant but for irrelevant occasional facebook posts. His mother, Char, manages operations but she seems to have some major health problems including surgeries.I am sorry for her suffering but the management of their business is not acceptable. If I were going through a health crisis I would transfer business responsibility to someone else. I am going to give them 2 months to get it together. In this moment, I really don't want this handpan because it has bad energy. I just want to get my money back and they are making this hard to do.
I will wait 2 more months for them to make good and then file a small claims court offense, I hate to go this route but this is a really bad deal and I am tired of being strung along.
In this moment of time I want to warn everyone to stay away from Zen Handpans ---- it is looking like a scam. If they manage to make good on my purchase I will rescind this complaint.
In the meanwhile I suggest that you DO NOT engage with Zen Handpans.
jani

Postby Afinfas » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:26 pm

jani wrote:I am in the 18th month after paying full fee in advance (what a terrible business model ! and bad on me for falling into this scheme!). This is a really bad business model and an obvious trap. Manny is non-existant but for irrelevant occasional facebook posts. His mother, Char, manages operations but she seems to have some major health problems including surgeries.I am sorry for her suffering but the management of their business is not acceptable. If I were going through a health crisis I would transfer business responsibility to someone else. I am going to give them 2 months to get it together. In this moment, I really don't want this handpan because it has bad energy. I just want to get my money back and they are making this hard to do.
I will wait 2 more months for them to make good and then file a small claims court offense, I hate to go this route but this is a really bad deal and I am tired of being strung along.
In this moment of time I want to warn everyone to stay away from Zen Handpans ---- it is looking like a scam. If they manage to make good on my purchase I will rescind this complaint.
In the meanwhile I suggest that you DO NOT engage with Zen Handpans.

I can understand your complain 100%. If I would be in your situation I also would be pretty upset! :?

Even knowing that everyone who pre purchased a Zen had to agree with this, I dont think its a fair way of doing things and honestly I would feel really bad while I wouldnt finish that pre purchase list. but thats how I am. Obviously there are other persons who dont really care about it, which seems to be the case here.
I really dont wish bad to anyone but if you are saying they are going into health problems, etc. maybe its karma putting its hammer down somehow!?

I sadly have to say as well...stay away from Zen Handpans!!! Not really due to their quality but due to their business approach! :sulk:
Afinfas
Can't stop talking about Handpan

Postby Miguel Carvalho » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:27 am

Yeah, seems that there are rising complaints about this...
Manny's aware of this thread, as I messaged him about it. He saw the message, no words... :| He posted sometime ago that his ranch has been raided by burglars, and lots of shells were stolen. No updates on that subject, as far as I know.
His behavior is unacceptable... I wouldn't be on vacation in Maui for shure.
Aciel Big Bear D/ G A [Bb] C D E F [G] A C
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrLuso74
Miguel Carvalho
Admin

Postby tuscanwellies » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:34 am

Hi all,

I would like to share a little something about my own experience with Zens. I have not communicated with Manny or Char about this in advance, I just felt moved to say something positive after all the negatives I've read here...

I am the proud owner of a Zen D minor (my very first handpan)... and she was worth the wait :)

It took a while and the pan I was originally sent was slightly different from what I ordered (it had a concave/innie ding and I asked for a convex), but they had no hesitation in apologising and sending me the right one as quickly as Manny could build her (with no extra costs apart from the extortionate Italian customs - not their fault!). Furthermore, they allowed me to play the first one until it arrived, and paid for its return shipping costs as soon as my big blue baby arrived. In no way did I hold this mistake against them (actually I felt bad they were out of pocket for it), because who here hasn't made mistakes? And in no way did I get annoyed or suspicious about the waiting time (about two years from initial letter to unboxing my baby).

Char communicated with me the entire process. She has some quite major health problems (some of which inhibit her ability to write/respond quickly), but besides having health problems myself, I understand and sympathise with this. I was happy to wait, sometimes a few weeks, for her to respond to my emails (a wait she would always apologise for). It doesn't make her any less professional. I found her to be a wonderfully kind, honest, humble, brave, caring and compassionate person. In fact, over the months waiting and chatting, she became like family to me. I miss our conversations :) While they could hire an administrator, as someone here suggested, (a) this is extra cost/responsibility, which most small businesses cannot afford and (b) it takes away the personal, family touch, which is part of the magic.

And if Manny needs a holiday after all his hard work (seriously hats-off to anyone who makes handpans - the most physically exhausting job!), plus the theft of his stock which means more work, besides what that must have done to him psychologically, can you really blame him? That news would have crushed my soul. He had absolutely no break from making pans in the years I was in touch. I repeatedly invited them to my home in Europe for a rest and they just never had the time to get away because of the order list. They are fully committed to their orders. But after years of relentless work, plus stolen stock, you surely need time-out or you will just collapse (either physically, mentally or both). Being mean about this says more about you than him.

I think part of the beauty of the handpan world is the waiting, saving and anticipation for your instrument. We live in a world where everything is available immediately, where we can quickly become demanding and cynical. While I fully understand that it's hard to wait for something we are passionate about (I waited nearly 7 years from hearing/falling in love with the handpan to being able to afford/find one I loved and then actually receiving it), particularly something we've paid in advance for, please remember that the Zen is a one-man handcrafted piece of art versus a large workshop or machine-made one or one from a maker with a substantial workforce. Manny's soul, energy and love go into each handpan and I think you can actually hear that in the warmth and resonance when you play... thus it is worth every second of thumb-twiddling. I appreciate that there are a lot more makers now and some have big, efficient business operations, or perhaps they are just quicker at what they do, but you can't compare waiting times between makers (if the times + any honest delays are communicated, which they have been by Manny/Char) - each is unique. For example, I've recently fallen in love with Yhonatan's low scale Yishamas which I had the opportunity to play at HONA (and to meet the lovely Yhonatan)... again, as a reputable and individual maker with a long list of orders (and a backlog due to injury), I'm sure I'll have to wait at least a year just to be put on his list. Frankly, I will wait until I'm old and grey to get one :)

Of course, when there are real con artists out there, this community provides an invaluable heads-up. And of course everyone is entitled to their opinions. But to me, it's wrong to accuse someone genuine of being a con artist just because you've had to wait a bit longer. If we stop being compassionate about illness and difficulty, we stop living in the spirit of these wonderful, healing instruments. If we lose our patience, we are not true to this handpan world. If we damage the reputation of a maker who has - up until now - been one of the best and most reputable, if we tell others its a scam without doing our research or without waiting for the full story from the maker themselves, or bad-mouthing the maker's response, then we become part of that horrible, demanding consumer world - wanting to sue everyone and complain about everything and hurt small businesses who rely entirely on word of mouth... and that is not what this community is about.

With all that in mind, I found Manny and Char to be wholly trustworthy, kind and professional even in the face of adversity/unexpected delays. I don't think our experiences are that different, but perhaps our reactions are. I chose the Zen for many reasons, as I am sure you did. And I was more than happy to wait that bit longer for such beautiful resonance and colour.

I ask you all kindly to try to put yourselves in their position - stolen stock, health problems, a young family to support, no fancy factory or big work force... unless they have changed dramatically since my experience with them, I am sure they will get in touch when they can with anyone who has ordered/paid for a Zen. And I am sure they will honour all your orders (or offer a refund if they physically can't).

This is a handcrafted piece of magic that stirs the soul. My Zen is still one of the very best handpans I've ever played. And I don't, for a second, regret choosing it as my first instrument.

I hope my words (sorry there are so many!) can provide reassurance and understanding to those who need it.

With love to all, and gratitude to the admins behind this amazing website and forum.
Juliet x
Owned by an AsaChan LalaBye in E; and a Zen D minor.
Also hankering for a low Yishama hijaz...
All good things come in threes, right? :)
tuscanwellies
HandPan Fan

Postby hangjohnny » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:58 pm

Maybe some balance to the raging going on .... Thanks for the detailed love letter .... You are right when you say that we as a community could just cool it , as we really do not have all the details . Nor do we know the man behind this obviously worthy instrument .
LEFTIES RIGHTS ACTIVIST
You deserve THE JOHNNY STRAP
hangjohnny
Steel is in my veins

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer Beware