Hard Rock Hippie Drums

Warnings of suspect sales.

Re: Hard Rock Hippie Drums

Postby Spike » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:49 am

Respect my friend! Respect!!!!
Spike

Postby junglist » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:44 am

Spike wrote:Respect my friend! Respect!!!!

I'm hard at work on a pan right now :) this made my smile even bigger :D
junglist
Lives to HandPan

Postby CarolW » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:24 am

junglist wrote:
Spike wrote:Respect my friend! Respect!!!!

I'm hard at work on a pan right now :) this made my smile even bigger :D

Good. Keep up the good work, Manny. You WILL get there!

:dd: :dance: :dd:

Sun, 9 Dec 2012 19:24:39 (PST)
CarolW [AKA PollyAnna] - Great Green Gros(s)Beak
Vortex of the D-Lyrians
In my lap: SPb-Pantam Kurd 9 - Thanks Victor and Forum
CarolW
Can't stop talking about Handpan

Postby omrhythm » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks for coming in and touching base, and lettiing us know what you are up to. It is refreshing to see newly inspired makers come to the table with humility, pragmatism, compassion, and awareness of how this genre is changing.

We are in for exciting times. The genre is about to grow up really fast. I have been contemplating a lot recently on how we must guide this evolution, in a natural way of course. Many changes are upon us, some of which are not comfortable for some. But it's time for growth. It is upon us.

Best of luck to all inspired makers!! We watch in awe, and react accordingly.
omrhythm
Steel is in my veins

Postby CarolW » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:36 pm

omrhythm wrote:Thanks for coming in and touching base, and lettiing us know what you are up to. It is refreshing to see newly inspired makers come to the table with humility, pragmatism, compassion, and awareness of how this genre is changing.

We are in for exciting times. The genre is about to grow up really fast. I have been contemplating a lot recently on how we must guide this evolution, in a natural way of course. Many changes are upon us, some of which are not comfortable for some. But it's time for growth. It is upon us.

Best of luck to all inspired makers!! We watch in awe, and react accordingly.

It IS refreshing, isn't it!

And some of the Big Four, also, provides surprising and wonderful change! blows my mind, every time! Glad to see, too, that Nobuya is doing well (keep up the good work, Nobuya!)

And - you are right about the awe, too. The dedication and sweat required to build handpans is large indeed. Thanks to ALL who are working on it, and to ALL who continue to do it! We here on the forum, and many others, owe you a BIG debt of gratitude for your work.

Mon, 10 Dec 2012 06:36:09 (PST)
CarolW [AKA PollyAnna] - Great Green Gros(s)Beak
Vortex of the D-Lyrians
In my lap: SPb-Pantam Kurd 9 - Thanks Victor and Forum
CarolW
Can't stop talking about Handpan

Postby don marco » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:29 pm

I love the comment when playing on the streets...."that's really cool! What do those cost? about $300-500?" I usually just say, "not exactly" without getting into the details of how valuable the thing on my lap really is retail much less on the open market.

Even many players don't realize how much time and energy it takes to build one of these things, not to mention wisdom, experience, and knowledge.

Mad respect for your time and energy going into these Manny!! This is not an easy job by any means!! :toast:
don marco
Steel is in my veins

junglist´s prototype

Postby michael » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:49 pm

I think it is time to split the topic or make a new one:
Hard Rock Hippie Drums
What was that????? :x

Now it is the birth of a new handpan
coming up from junglist!!!! <3
:dd: :love: Hallo!
ich bin Michael

!onlx a gap to love
michael
Steel is in my veins

Postby BKcustom » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Hello Everyone It's the Hard Rock Hippie's,
Somehow our love of drums, in this case steel hand drums, has turned into something nasty on your forum, that's unfortunate. Our lives revolve around music, and helping others. I have a psychology degree, and I am working on my Master's in Counseling.I have a great passion for music and it's healing powers. My husband is musician and has been playing the drums his entire life. We believe that drums can effect people in a way that nothing else can. We will continue to share our passion with the world, we love all drums, especially hand drums. Hand Pan drums are just one of the drums we love.In fact, Manny's drum was the first one we were lucky enough to put our hands on. We thought it was beautiful. These instruments need to be made more available to the public.It is our hope that one day there will not be waiting lists and $2000 dollar price tags. We just want to share the power of hand drums with as many people as possible. Wait to you all see what's next from the "Hippie Guy" and you will understand the name Hard Rock Hippie a little better.......peace, love, and rock and roll my people!
BKcustom

Postby Spike » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:53 am

Somehow our love of drums, in this case steel hand drums, has turned into something nasty on your forum

I think you know how.. If not, go read your husbands e-mails. you have a so called "psychology degree", you of all people should understand that the crap he sent me was way over the top and uncalled for. But maybe he does not allow you into his business..

We do not need people to buy and then flip drums like you are doing. We get enough of that on E-bay.

We also do not need people bragging about how good their crap is before they know what it is.
The TZ guys tried that way and look where it got them...
Spike

Postby CFoulke » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:05 am

BKcustom wrote:Hello Everyone It's the Hard Rock Hippie's,
Somehow our love of drums, in this case steel hand drums, has turned into something nasty on your forum, that's unfortunate. Our lives revolve around music, and helping others. I have a psychology degree, and I am working on my Master's in Counseling.I have a great passion for music and it's healing powers. My husband is musician and has been playing the drums his entire life. We believe that drums can effect people in a way that nothing else can. We will continue to share our passion with the world, we love all drums, especially hand drums. Hand Pan drums are just one of the drums we love.In fact, Manny's drum was the first one we were lucky enough to put our hands on. We thought it was beautiful. These instruments need to be made more available to the public.It is our hope that one day there will not be waiting lists and $2000 dollar price tags. We just want to share the power of hand drums with as many people as possible. Wait to you all see what's next from the "Hippie Guy" and you will understand the name Hard Rock Hippie a little better.......peace, love, and rock and roll my people!

While it seems your intentions come from the right place, there are quite a few things about your post that rub me the wrong way and historically, its pretty hard to rub me the wrong way.

It might serve you well to do a little more research about this community and the history of these instruments. Lets start with calling them 'Hand Pan drums.' While technically this might not be wrong, many people disagree with calling them 'drums.' I won't get into it but feel free to do a couple of searches through this forum (and I'd imagine all similar forums) and you'll find lengthy discussions and debates over calling them drums. Also note, that when the term handpan is used it is one word, not two.

To then call them Hippie Drums is yet another slight to many of our community members, me included. Not only is it an outdated term but it often has a negative connotation when applied to our community. Just because I wear my hair long and play music, it does not define me as a 'Hippie,' or anything else for that matter. I'd imagine that a large portion of society (a portion which you seem to be part of) might look at me when I busk and think I'm a hippie when in actuality I am well educated, employed, married, registered voter, volunteer, fundraiser...and just enjoy playing for others in public.

Just in case:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippie

On top of all that you call them Hard Rock Hippie Drums. IMHO there is nothing 'Hard Rock' about them. I would say in most cases, they are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. It just seems to be wrongly applied.

Just in case:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Rock

Trust me when I say that its my hope too that these wonderful creations will be more accessible in the future. Companies like Pantheon Steel are working so hard to make that happen via there lottery effort, eBay sales, and their online makers store. NTM all the people who are currently trying to learn to make and tune their own creations.

At this point I would think that your efforts as 'Hard Rock Hippie Drums' is doing the exact opposite of your intended efforts.
Play now, think later...
One Tall Poppy

2019 Æther E SaByeD, Halcyon, Low Kumoi, C# Celtic8, G#2 Phrygian
http://www.cfoulke.com
CFoulke
Steel is in my veins

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer Beware