Postby NorthernBeats » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:38 pm

is that a Diddly-doo? i like them diddly-doo's
“If you don't know where you're going, any road'll take you there”
― George Harrison
NorthernBeats
Crazy about HandPan

Re: Hard Rock Hippie Drums

Postby CarolW » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:04 pm

don marco wrote:Spike, I appreciate your raw unfiltered perspective and opinion just as much as I do anyone's efforts and energy in producing an instrument of any kind.

In the paraphrased words of one of the finest hand pan builders out there,

"You can talk all you want, but the steel doesn't lie. It's a mirror of your ability at every stage, reflecting every emotion under the sun and more importantly how you deal with them. When it's all said and done, either you can get it in tune or not, either you can achieve the timbre you want or not. Whether you succeed or not, the only one that is responsible for the outcome is you. If your not ready to look at yourself, your not ready for the job!"

After all of the words are said and done, the steel speaks for itself.

I"m framing this for myself for future reference. Not to mention current.

Don Marco - if you don't mind - who said (a paraphrase of) that? I can think any of the Big 4 might have said that, or it could be a predecessor of those. I was thinking Ellie Mannette, but it sounds to me more like a handpan rather than steel pan builder.

Since Luis doesn't use a lot of words, I think it's either Pantheon Steel (Kyle) or Victor. Doesn't really sound like Felix and Sabina. I'm betting on Kyle or Aaron or Jim. :mrgreen:

Tue, 27 Nov 2012 06:03:45 (PST)
CarolW [AKA PollyAnna] - Great Green Gros(s)Beak
Vortex of the D-Lyrians
In my lap: SPb-Pantam Kurd 9 - Thanks Victor and Forum
CarolW
Can't stop talking about Handpan

Postby don marco » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:59 pm

in so many words, Kyle..... about a month ago.
don marco
Steel is in my veins

Postby Mikey P » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:08 pm

To many here with wise ole words......thanks for keeping it real !!!!
Don Marco, GreenOak, and so many others I toast to your open minded enthusiasm !!!
I am of similar thoughts and try to live my life with as little "negativity" as possible......
Unfortunately the Corporate World I reside in daily produces more than my lifetime's share of "muck" !

Yes....that hippie drum is overpriced and our forum members need to know our thoughts on the sound...to...price value.....
Many newcomers depend on that....and so many here give great input everday....to help avoid the scams....and pick out the gems !
I am always amazed at how many people here enjoy helping others !!!
You guys "Rock" !!!

I hope that Brian continues pursuing his quest to create good sounding hippie drums !
We all know that the handpan community needs more product.....so keep on hammerin Brian !!!!

Cheers !

Mikey P
So thankful for my Halo's, Aether, AsaChan and Jan's Pannen....
Mikey P
Steel is in my veins

Postby Spike » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:22 pm

BTW, It's still not clear who makes this Handpan yet.
We know the other two drums he is selling are not his, but the site is a little vague as he uses the word "our" to describe them..

And I am the type of person that would tell you to your face that your drum sounds like shit if it did. I am also the type of person that would tell you if it was good if it was.

OM "Nitrated in my Meth lab man!"

:lol:
Spike

Postby Wonka » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:28 pm

greenoak wrote:My... we are a loving community full of brutally honest people...

Can't we type to each other like reasonable people? (rhetorical question)

I am pretty sure (not positive because I have not met many of you Ur-O-p'uns) that if Hippie Drum Guy (Brian) showed up to an event with his handpan and played it, someone would say out loud, "dude, that sounds like shit".

They might say, "dude, you have a long way to go on this" or "what about this note" or "what was your process when making the notes" or "interesting"

Describing another fellow human's artwork as "shit" offends my sensibilities. (remember I am a wuss Amurican)

So... with all that in mind, here is my response to the video:

Wow this is interesting that we have yet another maker in our midst - and in the US too! I am not very thrilled about the quality - and I am especially annoyed at the asking price. I really believe that newcomers into the scene should not offer their products until they reach a certain level of maturity. And if they do offer their products, it should way under $1000. By the way anyone know what scale this is?

My experience has been if you meet or greet someone with a clenched fist, you will receive a equal response (mostly).

What is our goal or desired outcome here? I'll offer some:

1) recognize new makers
2) guide them to make better instruments
3) rejoice that they are swinging a hammer to create sound
4) drive the price of entry level handpans DOWN
5) caution and educate desperate buyers who do not know any better the pitfalls of 'good vs bad'
6) be inclusive to the community of singing steel rather than exclusive

Lastly I struggle with personality exposure. There is a lot about me that no one knows. There is a lot about a lot of people that no one knows.

If you were to completely know me (and I mean completely) , would you still deal with me? Or treat me with the same regard?

Countless psychological studies have shown time and time again that humans can be driven to despicable action. To reverse the psychology then, can we not drive humans to be better. Do we fail if we do not try?

Dang folks, lighten up !

And Happy Hippie Drum Dude - if you are reading... cut your prices in half and keep at it.

-greenoak :ugeek:

Amen. Wise words.

Sorry for the big quote but it worths reading it again.
Wonka
HandPan Lover

Postby CarolW » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 pm

don marco wrote:in so many words, Kyle..... about a month ago.

I'm not in the slightest surprised, yet very glad to know, don Marco. Any of the others I mentioned would likely agree completely with that, though. (I couldn't really vouch for Felix and Sabina, as their building appears to me couched in a fair bit of other stuff that I can't really follow.) But Luis, or Victor, I think, would likely easily agree, though if asked, they might phrase things somewhat differently.

They are so totally in touch with the metal (any possible pun intended - those magical, holy hands, on those creations being formed).

And you and Mark Wilson - and maybe ezahnb belong in there too, though perhaps at an earlier stage of learning - but I believe you understand and feel and work with the principles expressed.

Hey - I tell ya - it's absolutely magic for me to watch you builders at work - if at a distance :mrgreen:

And especially so now that I've had one of these under my own hands.

That steel sings - responding to other hands! How beautiful can you get! (But the playing hands must respect the steel, too; otherwise, the tone gets missed - misted - fogged out - the pan responds to the brain, therefore! Which is why it hurts so badly to see pan abuse of the sort documented in another thread.

Looking forward to more steel-singing, come spring (ahem, Colin and Kari!)

Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:31:11 (PST)
Vortex of the D-Lyrians
CarolW

Postby CFoulke » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:14 am

CarolW wrote:Looking forward to more steel-singing, come spring (ahem, Colin and Kari!)

:) :) :)
Play now, think later...
One Tall Poppy

2019 Æther E SaByeD, Halcyon, Low Kumoi, C# Celtic8, G#2 Phrygian
http://www.cfoulke.com
CFoulke
Steel is in my veins

Postby Bikerbusk » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:42 am

Just another outfit trying to sway people out of the wait to get a lesser unit .
Sorry I will pass on this thing...Roy
Bikerbusk
Steel is in my veins

Postby CarolW » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:31 am

cfoulke wrote:
CarolW wrote:Looking forward to more steel-singing, come spring (ahem, Colin and Kari!)

:) :) :)

<3 :dd: :friends: :dd: :bow: :dd: :dance: :dd: <3

The Silver Gate awaits you! :D

Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:31:35 (PST)
Vortex of the D-Lyrians
CarolW

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer Beware