Hard Rock Hippie Drums

Warnings of suspect sales.

Re: Hard Rock Hippie Drums

Postby JeremyD » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:20 am

Some wrestlers get hit in the head a little too much!!!
2017 handpan comparison video
https://youtu.be/AuznuFfQG1I
JeremyD
Steel is in my veins

Postby wwheeler214 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:44 am

Oh man, you're a true hero, Spike. I had some good laughs through this thread...

My thoughts:

1. This "Hippie Drum" guy does not belong in the handpan community.
2. He mad... he real mad...

He sounds like some beefhead just trying to make a little money off of the gullible people who can't get their hands on a real pan. Normally I give every single new maker a chance to see what they can bring to the table, but this guy... Oh man. He's something else. Horrible instrument and a horrible personality. I want nothing to do with his "playable art". His pan sounds about as great as the time I tuned the bottom of a steel coffee can. Wait no, my coffee can note sounded better.
Hi, I'm Wesley.
Currently panless and looking for my first pan!
wwheeler214
HandPan Fan

Postby wwheeler214 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:52 am

He also mentioned something about his pan having lots of octaves? Dude sounds amazing! I can't wait to hear this "octave pan". I imagine it being a beautiful octave of C's. That would be... simply mesmerizing. It must have a C1... and then a C2, and then a C3, and a C4, and a C5, and even all the way up to a C6? How did he tune such a majestic beast?! The world may never know...
Hi, I'm Wesley.
Currently panless and looking for my first pan!
wwheeler214
HandPan Fan

Postby greenoak » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:25 am

My... we are a loving community full of brutally honest people...

Can't we type to each other like reasonable people? (rhetorical question)

I am pretty sure (not positive because I have not met many of you Ur-O-p'uns) that if Hippie Drum Guy (Brian) showed up to an event with his handpan and played it, someone would say out loud, "dude, that sounds like shit".

They might say, "dude, you have a long way to go on this" or "what about this note" or "what was your process when making the notes" or "interesting"

Describing another fellow human's artwork as "shit" offends my sensibilities. (remember I am a wuss Amurican)

So... with all that in mind, here is my response to the video:

Wow this is interesting that we have yet another maker in our midst - and in the US too! I am not very thrilled about the quality - and I am especially annoyed at the asking price. I really believe that newcomers into the scene should not offer their products until they reach a certain level of maturity. And if they do offer their products, it should way under $1000. By the way anyone know what scale this is?

My experience has been if you meet or greet someone with a clenched fist, you will receive a equal response (mostly).

What is our goal or desired outcome here? I'll offer some:

1) recognize new makers
2) guide them to make better instruments
3) rejoice that they are swinging a hammer to create sound
4) drive the price of entry level handpans DOWN
5) caution and educate desperate buyers who do not know any better the pitfalls of 'good vs bad'
6) be inclusive to the community of singing steel rather than exclusive

Lastly I struggle with personality exposure. There is a lot about me that no one knows. There is a lot about a lot of people that no one knows.

If you were to completely know me (and I mean completely) , would you still deal with me? Or treat me with the same regard?

Countless psychological studies have shown time and time again that humans can be driven to despicable action. To reverse the psychology then, can we not drive humans to be better. Do we fail if we do not try?

Dang folks, lighten up !

And Happy Hippie Drum Dude - if you are reading... cut your prices in half and keep at it.

-greenoak :ugeek:
----
As you feed on men and things, so they feed upon you. Be wholesome food to others if you would not be poisoned.

Mikhail Naimy The Book of Mirdad
greenoak
Admin

Postby RAYNER » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:40 am

greenoak wrote:My... we are a loving community full of brutally honest people...

Can't we type to each other like reasonable people? (rhetorical question)

I am pretty sure (not positive because I have not met many of you Ur-O-p'uns) that if Hippie Drum Guy (Brian) showed up to an event with his handpan and played it, someone would say out loud, "dude, that sounds like shit".

They might say, "dude, you have a long way to go on this" or "what about this note" or "what was your process when making the notes" or "interesting"

Describing another fellow human's artwork as "shit" offends my sensibilities. (remember I am a wuss Amurican)

So... with all that in mind, here is my response to the video:

Wow this is interesting that we have yet another maker in our midst - and in the US too! I am not very thrilled about the quality - and I am especially annoyed at the asking price. I really believe that newcomers into the scene should not offer their products until they reach a certain level of maturity. And if they do offer their products, it should way under $1000. By the way anyone know what scale this is?

My experience has been if you meet or greet someone with a clenched fist, you will receive a equal response (mostly).

What is our goal or desired outcome here? I'll offer some:

1) recognize new makers
2) guide them to make better instruments
3) rejoice that they are swinging a hammer to create sound
4) drive the price of entry level handpans DOWN
5) caution and educate desperate buyers who do not know any better the pitfalls of 'good vs bad'
6) be inclusive to the community of singing steel rather than exclusive

Lastly I struggle with personality exposure. There is a lot about me that no one knows. There is a lot about a lot of people that no one knows.

If you were to completely know me (and I mean completely) , would you still deal with me? Or treat me with the same regard?

Countless psychological studies have shown time and time again that humans can be driven to despicable action. To reverse the psychology then, can we not drive humans to be better. Do we fail if we do not try?

Dang folks, lighten up !

And Happy Hippie Drum Dude - if you are reading... cut your prices in half and keep at it.

-greenoak :ugeek:

Normally i wouldn't play into this.

but greenoak has hit the nail on the head here.

makers response to spike's comment is a tad aggravated yes. not really a good image to bring to one self in a community of "enlightened" individuals but a lot of peoples criticism is rather negative and blunt towards this guys first efforts towards a pan, its almost a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

but again as a prototype the community should guide him & give contructive critiscism
Yes these pans do have a ways to go tuning wise etc i will not dispute this.

thats my two cents folks.
lets not turn this into a flame war
RAYNER
HandPan Lover

Postby in2nation » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 am

i applaud anyones efforts at creating handpans BUT if they are gonna charge almost as much as a top notch one whilst having a DRASTICALLY inferior sound quality I am going to be quite blunt about it - PLEASE MAKERS - quality first - price second!
Hello - Je suis Michael
in2nation
Admin

Postby michael » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:42 am

Hello Ray!

I like your words.
Some thoughts:
1600 $ for that instrument, for that sound quality ?!
Normally our community would warn our members: SCAM
You ask for half the price: 800 $!!!!
NO, I have to work a lot for 800 $
and I think no buyer and handpan enthusiastic will be satisfied with an instrument like this!!!

We have to protect the customers!
We have to support the builders: please show us your next instruments and join the community which
answer questions to improve your skills. And then we hope all that there will be a lot of new builders with
quality handpans like the BIG 4!!!!
But at this very moment: please show us another vid with good sound quality and tell us which scale.
Play every single note! Then we will know what to think about it and judge.
Last edited by michael on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:dd: :love: Hallo!
ich bin Michael

!onlx a gap to love
michael
Steel is in my veins

Postby G-high » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:18 pm

@Greenoak: Wise words man
G-high
Lives to HandPan

Postby omrhythm » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:28 pm

I think its time to post my secret video.

This was made at Pantheon on the very first piece of metal that they ever hammered. This is not meant as a response to anyone in particular, but this is pretty much how I feel about the sale of handpans that are nowhere near "good quality".

omrhythm
Steel is in my veins

Postby zoltan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm

omrhythm wrote:I think its time to post my secret video.

This was made at Pantheon on the very first piece of metal that they ever hammered. This is not meant as a response to anyone in particular, but this is pretty much how I feel about the sale of handpans that are nowhere near "good quality".

I was feeling pretty down just a few seconds ago, after that video; totally gone and smiling! :lol:

What a killer! Thanks Om
zoltan
Lives to HandPan

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer Beware