First Handpan

Warnings of suspect sales.

First Handpan

Postby Alitecht » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:14 am

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy my first Handpan ( Actually i have a Am Tongue drum for training )

Currently only available in my country handpan are "Terré "Handpan
http://www.rock.ma/autres/2008-handpan- ... &results=1

At this time we have only this feedback, and it' s sounds very bad :(
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12950&start=20

Here is the list of avalaible Handpans on ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/db-Handpan-Frig ... 3f3a050e72
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ink:top:en
http://www.ebay.com/itm/db-Handpan-soun ... 3f3a0894e1

I wanted to know if any of you heard about DB handpan and why this price difference (830 $ , 1625 $, 530 $ )

and here a Bali Handpan :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handpan-No-Halo ... 3f3a2d1d6e

For my first impressions think it sounds (all) great ! :roll:

I wanted to know if it is a good purchase.

Any information would be appreciated.
Alitecht

Re: First Handpan

Postby slim-le-pancake » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:40 am

Hello Alitecht!

Just an opinion to try to help you:
I think that those instrument do not sound good at all.

They all present a lot of background noise that develops when a note is played.

I will try to explain what happened to me while playing a low quality instrument:
with time and playing, this noise will annoy you and you will realise that it is strong and impossible to control. At one point, you will feel like this noise is destroying the beauty of the music.

I suggest several things:

1. watch many videos with many hardpans all around. not only the ones available for sale, but also others. you will learn that each maker has a unique sound

2. listen carefully to the scales. the scale choice is very important. some scales are for you, others would be a disaster...

3. try to meet handpan players in your area. visit them. play music with them.
if possible, try to attend a hardpan gathering. you'd meet many players and instruments, this would help you MUCH more than a few advices here!

4. patience before buying an instrument. think it twice, it is a lot of money, and a bad instrument is probably not worth it.

5. some makers here around sometimes propose hardpans for sales at very reasonable price. check the forum, Facebook and the makers websites... (Saraz hardpans, Aciel at least are doing this, maybe other makers too, I don't know).

6. Good luck with you quest :-) !
slim-le-pancake
Lives to HandPan

Postby Kenneth D.W » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:24 am

slim-le-pancake wrote:

5. some makers here around sometimes propose hardpans for sales at very reasonable price. check the forum, Facebook and the makers websites... (Saraz hardpans, Aciel at least are doing this, maybe other makers too, I don't know).
!

Dont forget that Saraz does NOT distribute outside of the USA... :cry:
BPSH - ( D ) a, b, c#´, d´, e´, f#´ , g´, a´
Kenneth D.W
Crazy about HandPan

Postby broussel2 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:35 am

There are plenty of good makers. Typically instruments that end up on eBay are the ones that have trouble finding a buyer or are quality instruments resold for maximum price. Exploring the forums, taking contact with makers, and being patient are the best things to do.

A few rules :

If you're a beginner you will get the best results from a quality instrument. They're easier to play and more pleasant to hear.
The price does not reflect the quality. Good instruments can be cheap or expensive, as well as bad instruments. It mostly depends on how the maker sees things... Some good ones (and bad ones) are also resold on Swap and Sale (only for handpan) on Facebook.
Ask for advice.
Meraki Caliban
Halo Equinox 9
Halo Avalon
Sunpan A3+E
https://sites.google.com/site/handpanscales/
broussel2
Can't stop talking about Handpan

Postby Snivy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Kenneth D.W wrote:Dont forget that Saraz does NOT distribute outside of the USA... :cry:

Saraz ships worldwide. Keep an eye on their website for a flash sale. First come first served.
Snivy
Steel is in my veins

Postby Kenneth D.W » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:40 am

Hmmm I had contact with them just before hangUSA and they informed me that they would no longer ship outside USA :?:
BPSH - ( D ) a, b, c#´, d´, e´, f#´ , g´, a´
Kenneth D.W
Crazy about HandPan

Postby Afinfas » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:39 am

Kenneth D.W wrote:Hmmm I had contact with them just before hangUSA and they informed me that they would no longer ship outside USA :?:

I seriously doubt that. There must be some misunderstanding cause I bet that half of the persons on their waiting list are from Europe or simply outside of USA.
That would be a big draw back.
Afinfas

Postby broussel2 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Afinfas wrote:
Kenneth D.W wrote:Hmmm I had contact with them just before hangUSA and they informed me that they would no longer ship outside USA :?:

I seriously doubt that. There must be some misunderstanding cause I bet that half of the persons on their waiting list are from Europe or simply outside of USA.
That would be a big draw back.

At the same time as an ecologist Mark always expressed concerns with the environmental cost of overseas shipping...
Meraki Caliban
Halo Equinox 9
Halo Avalon
Sunpan A3+E
https://sites.google.com/site/handpanscales/
broussel2

Postby Afinfas » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:58 pm

I just checked once again the Saraz website, where you have a E-Minor for immediate purchase and right under it says:

Purchasing Details
We will ship anywhere.

I wouldnt find it strange from Mark but... only if Saraz team hadnt open a world waiting list a couple of months ago. Even though my Saraz was yesterday delayed till 2015 and right after I read this post above...so, it made me think on it but...I still dont think so and we would have already heard from the Saraz team stating that, if it would be the case.
Afinfas

Postby Jay_Raz » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:27 pm

The 2014/2015 Saraz requests that were taken a few months back, were available to be shipped any in the world. After we stopped taking 2014/2015 requests, we offered the chance to request a Saraz which had to be picked up. We have since taken down the offer to pickup a Saraz in person.
Jay_Raz
Steel is in my veins

Next

Return to Buyer Beware