Is this a scam?

Warnings of suspect sales.

Re: Is this a scam?

Postby headway » Thu May 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Haha... I figured out his IP address and subnet mask. Looks as if the router he is hiding behind has a default password on it too. Before I do anything I need to figure out why his router has "enable remote management" turned on, on the router. Could he be that stupid?
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace prize!
headway
HandPan Lover

Postby headway » Thu May 01, 2014 3:40 pm

headway wrote:Haha... I figured out his IP address and subnet mask. Looks as if the router he is hiding behind has a default password on it too. Before I do anything I need to figure out why his router has "enable remote management" turned on, on the router. Could he be that stupid?

Well I decided that I would not attack him with the tools I have. I just could not use my knowledge in IT security to attack anyone. I use these tools to make sure people are safe from attack, not to do the attacks for malicious reasons, no matter how bad this guy deserves it.

I've wasted enough time dealing with this looser. Time to keep the Halo search going.
headway
HandPan Lover

Postby mudman » Thu May 01, 2014 4:14 pm

headway wrote:
headway wrote:Haha... I figured out his IP address and subnet mask. Looks as if the router he is hiding behind has a default password on it too. Before I do anything I need to figure out why his router has "enable remote management" turned on, on the router. Could he be that stupid?

Well I decided that I would not attack him with the tools I have. I just could not use my knowledge in IT security to attack anyone. I use these tools to make sure people are safe from attack, not to do the attacks for malicious reasons, no matter how bad this guy deserves it.

I've wasted enough time dealing with this looser. Time to keep the Halo search going.

I think you will be happier as a result of letting this go. Good for you! :)
Halo Raga Desya Todi (Eb) G Bb C D Eb F G Bb
Ayasa Amara 8 (C#) G# B C# D# E F# G# B
8 note and Opus 10 note electric Idiopans.

Waiting for my ultimate pan, being built now by Ayasa!

Check out my NEW album.

Play for yourself...
mudman
Steel is in my veins

Postby broussel2 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:18 pm

headway wrote:

On the other hand, this guy is probably selling a dozen Halos to different people at this moment.
Meraki Caliban
Halo Equinox 9
Halo Avalon
Sunpan A3+E
https://sites.google.com/site/handpanscales/
broussel2
Can't stop talking about Handpan

Postby headway » Thu May 01, 2014 4:27 pm

Well the worst thing I could do to the guy/gal is brick their router. There is no advantage to me for doing this and having to live with the thought that I used my skill maliciously. I never have and never will.

What needs to happen to these scum-bags is to be arrested and I don't have that power. I have confirmed that they are working out of West Sussex England.
headway
HandPan Lover

Postby Carbon » Thu May 01, 2014 4:28 pm

It depends on what country the person is in. Also, if the router is open - the scammer might be using it as a proxy or bouncing traffic through it to shield his actual location. If a malicious attack is made, it could be made on an innocent person that has no idea how his router is being used. It could be a neighbor that's hacked wifi - lots of possible problems.

Regarding scams, basically if you ever have any doubts - just don't do it (or ask like the OP did). Also, Batch 4 is probably coming soon...
Carbon
Steel is in my veins

Postby headway » Thu May 01, 2014 5:00 pm

What I look for is evidence that the IP has a server assigned. if it has a "reverse IP" entry or a 'real' name for "resolve host" then it is probably a server, and likely a proxy. It was not.

What I ended up doing is replying to this creep and gave him all the information I could obtain from them including their location (within 50 miles or so) and told them they have been reported. Nothing like the gift of paranoia for those who are breaking the law! :twisted:

And yes, there should be some news from Pantheon any day now for batch 4 and since yesterday was my birthday, things could go my way! :D
headway
HandPan Lover

Postby Knightwolf » Fri May 02, 2014 12:41 am

headway wrote:
What I ended up doing is replying to this creep and gave him all the information I could obtain from them including their location (within 50 miles or so) and told them they have been reported. Nothing like the gift of paranoia for those who are breaking the law! :twisted:

Happy Birthday Headway :dance: :dd: :yahoo:

LOL I would have loved to seen his face from that email. Yes I can understand your reasoning for not taking it further, not good karma to use your skills maliciously, but rattling their chains a little why not :lol: Give him/her a taste of their own pain.

big birthday hugs to you
Jo
Music is the voice of the soul.

Proud mum of a Blue Point SteelHarp - Dm
New and proud mum of a Zen Handpan - Zen Ziska 7
Willing bank account to grow for more Handpans :-)
Knightwolf
Lives to HandPan

Postby headway » Fri May 02, 2014 1:57 am

Knightwolf wrote:
Happy Birthday Headway :dance: :dd: :yahoo:

LOL I would have loved to seen his face from that email. Yes I can understand your reasoning for not taking it further, not good karma to use your skills maliciously, but rattling their chains a little why not :lol: Give him/her a taste of their own pain.

big birthday hugs to you
Jo

Hey Jo, thanks for the Birthday wishes! Big hugs back atcha. :D

I hope that I did rattle his chains but my hands are clean. Like I said, time to poor my chi into the Halo 4 batch. <3 <3 <3

~Neil
headway
HandPan Lover

Postby JeremyD » Fri May 02, 2014 8:33 am

There is a fake ad for Halo's in just about every city using backstage.com.

Google pantheonSteel and a price of 1800,1900,2000,2100, or 2200 and you will find these ads easily.

If it seems too good to be true, then it is most likely is a scam.
2017 handpan comparison video
https://youtu.be/AuznuFfQG1I
JeremyD
Steel is in my veins

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer Beware