Is this a scam?

Warnings of suspect sales.

Is this a scam?

Postby headway » Thu May 01, 2014 12:52 am

Hello all. I'm on the fence about something and I really need a more experienced point of view on buying a Pantheon Steel Halo from the internet.

I should start out saying that I'm already on the upcoming list with Saraz from one of their fine instruments and plan on getting that pan either way as I'm a firm believer of supporting local businesses and I think that their pans are top shelf. I also love the scale in which they are building me!

That being said, I have found a Pantheon Steel Halo for sale at a pretty good price. The only problem is the pan is supposedly in the UK and I'm in the US. When I reached out to the guy who is selling it, this is the reply I got.

"I still have for sale my Pantheon Steel Halo Handpan with Halo Helment. I am asking $XXXX. From the beginning I want to tell you that I left the country a couple of days ago and came to United Kingdom with my work for the Save The Children Foundation. If you still want to buy it, I will pay all shipping fees. Also we can do this in a safe way with the help of an escrow company. They will handle the delivery from United Kingdom to your home since I had to take it with me having no place where to leave it there. The escrow company will give 10 days to inspect it so you can test and see that it is exactly as I described."

My question is, has anyone done a transaction in this way and has anyone been burned doing this?

As always, thanks for your advice. I've never bought anything this way and feel a little hesitant!

~Neil
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace prize!
headway
HandPan Lover

Re: Is this a scam?

Postby ericmuller » Thu May 01, 2014 1:14 am

Im almost positive thats a scam. Where did you find it?
Most times scammers will use the "out of the country" trick to say they arent with the instrument
ericmuller
Crazy about HandPan

Postby headway » Thu May 01, 2014 1:40 am

ericmuller wrote:Im almost positive thats a scam. Where did you find it?
Most times scammers will use the "out of the country" trick to say they arent with the instrument

I really can't remember where I found this on the net. I think it might have been through backstage.com. The thing here is, he's not saying he is "away" from his pan. He says it's with him. I have checked out these escrow companies. You don't pay the seller, you pay the third party company. Once the item has been delivered, the money is released.

Never used this type of transaction.

You may be right though. It does smell a little ripe.

~Neil
headway
HandPan Lover

Postby ericmuller » Thu May 01, 2014 1:43 am

oh my bad there!

But the end part with the escrow company and the "ill give you 10 days" is also something ive heard.

If you wanna dig deeper, try and get a time stamped video

Wishing you the best man,

Eric
ericmuller
Crazy about HandPan

Postby mudman » Thu May 01, 2014 2:05 am

One more tip - don't follow some link they email you to an escrow website. Those can be faked. Instead, insist on using a company of your choice that you have researched. ;)
Halo Raga Desya Todi (Eb) G Bb C D Eb F G Bb
Ayasa Amara 8 (C#) G# B C# D# E F# G# B
8 note and Opus 10 note electric Idiopans.

Waiting for my ultimate pan, being built now by Ayasa!

Check out my NEW album.

Play for yourself...
mudman
Can't stop talking about Handpan

Postby headway » Thu May 01, 2014 2:16 am

mudman wrote:One more tip - don't follow some link they email you to an escrow website. Those can be faked. Instead, insist on using a company of your choice that you have researched. ;)

Thanks for the tip buddy. Yeah, I'm an IT professional and I know how to see through those types of scams. If he tries something fishy with any kind of technology, I'll nail him.

One thing that is somewhat promising is his email address is valid and is simply his name @gmail.com.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking and maybe I have too much trust in my fellow man/woman. I just want a Halo soooo bad! I know that I can't let that cloud my judgement though.

~Neil
headway
HandPan Lover

Postby Knightwolf » Thu May 01, 2014 8:15 am

Yes definitely a scam, RUUNNNNN!!! I was nearly taken by this scam artist except that he had just moved from Adelaide to the UK for the same charity, and he was selling a PanArt Hang. Here is a copy of the email he sent, sound familiar?

"Hello,

I still have for sale my 1st generation PanArt Hang handpan. I am asking $1700. From the beginning I want to tell you that I left the country a couple of days ago and came to United Kingdom with my work for the Save The Children Foundation. If you still want to buy it, I will pay all shipping fees. Also we can do this in a safe way with the help of an escrow company. They will handle the delivery from United Kingdom to your home since I had to take it with me having no place where to leave it there. The escrow company will give 10 days to inspect it so you can test and see that it is exactly as described in my ad.

Thanks,
Adam"

He went under the name Adam Dunn, the escrow was a Company called DPD and the agent was Barry Gill.

Hope this helps.

Jo :-)
Music is the voice of the soul.

Proud mum of a Blue Point SteelHarp - Dm
New and proud mum of a Zen Handpan - Zen Ziska 7
Willing bank account to grow for more Handpans :-)
Knightwolf
Lives to HandPan

Postby broussel2 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:25 am

Meraki Caliban
Halo Equinox 9
Halo Avalon
Sunpan A3+E
https://sites.google.com/site/handpanscales/
broussel2
Can't stop talking about Handpan

Postby headway » Thu May 01, 2014 9:30 am

Yep... And here he is with the same exact wording...

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,13727.0.html

Once again, what a great place to share ideas and keep each other safe.

Now it's time to mess with this guy. He picked the wrong nerd to try and scam. Stay tuned for all the excitement. :giggle:
headway
HandPan Lover

Postby Knightwolf » Thu May 01, 2014 1:12 pm

headway wrote:Yep... And here he is with the same exact wording...

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,13727.0.html

Once again, what a great place to share ideas and keep each other safe.

Now it's time to mess with this guy. He picked the wrong nerd to try and scam. Stay tuned for all the excitement. :giggle:

Go get em, if it wasn't for a really alert bank worker I would have been robbed of $1700.00. I didn't know about this forum then. I really look forward to seeing this guy roasted. :twisted: :evil:
Music is the voice of the soul.

Proud mum of a Blue Point SteelHarp - Dm
New and proud mum of a Zen Handpan - Zen Ziska 7
Willing bank account to grow for more Handpans :-)
Knightwolf
Lives to HandPan

Next

Return to Buyer Beware