Grand Theft Handpan

Warnings of suspect sales.

Grand Theft Handpan

Postby Miguel Carvalho » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:24 pm

I was having a chat with a brasilian friend on FB, he just showed me this.
This is just an example of another huge theft... this Handpan was sold for 8500 reais. 2.795,04 € :shock:

Just a few more links...
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-548466533-hangdrum-hang-drum-perfeito-com-bag-unico-no-brasil-_JM
This one is a Saggitarius i think
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-551862581-hang-drum-fabricaco-americana-com-hard-case-e-bag-_JM

:fist: :bang: :bang: :(
Aciel Big Bear D/ G A [Bb] C D E F [G] A C
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrLuso74
Miguel Carvalho
Admin

Re: Grand Theft Handpan

Postby Snivy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:30 pm

WOW! And they called it a HangDrum too! Very unethical.

That second link is definitely an STG.
Snivy
Steel is in my veins

Postby ericmuller » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:37 pm

Couldnt the buyer get a refund being that the seller claimed this to be a "hang drum" and hang being a patented word?
ericmuller
Crazy about HandPan

Postby Mikey P » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:43 pm

:shock:
So thankful for my Halo's, Aether, AsaChan and Jan's Pannen....
Mikey P
Can't stop talking about Handpan

Postby Heavenly3lues » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:51 pm

It's crazy that stuff like this happens. But... REALLY?!? Why would anyone in their right mind pay for something like that upon hearing the video?!? :x :bang: It's a two way street... it takes both a buyer and a seller. I just don't understand why someone wouldn't educate themselves before spending that kind of money on something.
Studio albums available!
www.jeremyarndt.com

Download my live sets - Name your price!
www.heavenly3lues.bandcamp.com

Heavenly3lues

Postby broussel2 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:06 pm

Heavenly3lues wrote:It's crazy that stuff like this happens. But... REALLY?!? Why would anyone in their right mind pay for something like that upon hearing the video?!? :x :bang: It's a two way street... it takes both a buyer and a seller. I just don't understand why someone wouldn't educate themselves before spending that kind of money on something.

Because they're unaware that they have to educate themselves. Not everyone has the occasion of becoming familiar with handpans. Sometimes you've just seen one years ago (there are about six billion people out there who are unaware of this forum). And there must like between 15,000 and 20,000 Hanghang/handpans on this planet (and less players...), bad ones included?

Too bad mistakes involve such amounts of money.
Meraki Caliban
Halo Equinox 9
Halo Avalon
Sunpan A3+E
https://sites.google.com/site/handpanscales/
broussel2

Postby Heavenly3lues » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:12 pm

broussel2 wrote:
Heavenly3lues wrote:It's crazy that stuff like this happens. But... REALLY?!? Why would anyone in their right mind pay for something like that upon hearing the video?!? :x :bang: It's a two way street... it takes both a buyer and a seller. I just don't understand why someone wouldn't educate themselves before spending that kind of money on something.

Because they're unaware that they have to educate themselves. Not everyone has the occasion of becoming familiar with handpans. Sometimes you've just seen one years ago (there are about six billion people out there who are unaware of this forum). And there must like between 15,000 and 20,000 Hanghang/handpans on this planet (and less players...), bad ones included?

Too bad mistakes involve such amounts of money.

I totally understand what you are saying, but generally, for big purchases in life (house, cars, dog, cat, vacation, TV, or whatever), people at least shop around, learn a bit more, etc. People do make impulse purchases often too, so I guess this could be an impulse buy. Surely, someone's ears can do the educating. You don't have to know handpans to know that doesn't make a pleasant sound. I would understand someone getting screwed if there weren't a video and it was advertised as a "Hang Drum". But, it's right there for them to listen to it, isn't it? Or was the video not included in the original sale?
Studio albums available!
www.jeremyarndt.com

Download my live sets - Name your price!
www.heavenly3lues.bandcamp.com

Heavenly3lues

Postby broussel2 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:20 pm

Heavenly3lues wrote:I totally understand what you are saying, but generally, for big purchases in life (house, cars, dog, cat, vacation, TV, or whatever), people at least shop around, learn a bit more, etc. People do make impulse purchases often too, so I guess this could be an impulse buy. Surely, someone's ears can do the educating. You don't have to know handpans to know that doesn't make a pleasant sound. I would understand someone getting screwed if there weren't a video and it was advertised as a "Hang Drum". But, it's right there for them to listen to it, isn't it? Or was the video not included in the original sale?

Impulse buy, opportunity effect... and the power of the mind to easily overwhelm good sense and blatant reality (or people would take sensible decisions all the time...). Being in balance is not easy... We shouldn't blame people who are taken advantage of because of their ignorance.
Meraki Caliban
Halo Equinox 9
Halo Avalon
Sunpan A3+E
https://sites.google.com/site/handpanscales/
broussel2

Postby Carbon » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:49 pm

Gifts. People sometimes get others nice presents. A person might save up for a long while and surprised a loved one with a handpan. Maybe they pooled their resources with a few other people to be able to afford one. They may know the term "hang drum"and buy accordingly. A non-musical person might not understand the difference immediately.

This is what i think of when I see replica handpans sell. I think of how excited everyone is and how quickly that piece of badly hammered metal shits on someone's dream. This sort of thing could have happened to me or a number of other handpan.org members. Heck, it could still happen.... Educated consumers know, but not everyone is education and for some it may be hard to make heads or tails of what is good and what is bad. There are arguments within the community about respected makers.

I don't think it is helpful to blame the buyer. The seller is 100% at fault and is knowingly scamming people.
Carbon
Steel is in my veins

Postby CarolW » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:52 am

Carbon wrote:Gifts. People sometimes get others nice presents. A person might save up for a long while and surprised a loved one with a handpan. Maybe they pooled their resources with a few other people to be able to afford one. They may know the term "hang drum"and buy accordingly. A non-musical person might not understand the difference immediately.

This is what i think of when I see replica handpans sell. I think of how excited everyone is and how quickly that piece of badly hammered metal shits on someone's dream. This sort of thing could have happened to me or a number of other handpan.org members. Heck, it could still happen.... Educated consumers know, but not everyone is education and for some it may be hard to make heads or tails of what is good and what is bad. There are arguments within the community about respected makers.

I don't think it is helpful to blame the buyer. The seller is 100% at fault and is knowingly scamming people.

Carbon - I agree with your position. One needs to hear handpans (and pantams) in person, in order to become educated. Some people have shaky hearing, too; I am one of them. :cry:

BUT - when I hear a great handpan or pantam in person, ohhhhhh! My heart just breaks! :shock: <3 <3 <3
CarolW [AKA PollyAnna] - Great Green Gros(s)Beak
Vortex of the D-Lyrians
In my lap: SPb-Pantam Kurd 9 - Thanks Victor and Forum
CarolW

Return to Buyer Beware