Hang Drum for Sale

Talk about the sound sculpture that inspired all handpans.

Hang Drum for Sale

Postby HangDrum_TongueDrum » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:08 am

Hello Everyone.

My friend owns an F penatonic Hang drum. She is looking into selling it. I know that with bids on ebay and what not pricing can change, but what do you think she can expect to get for it? Just an estimate?

Also I've heard that PanArt doesnt want people to sell hanghang for more than they purchased it for and also, that PanArt wants the chance to buy back the hang from the owner before he or she puts it on the market. What can you tell me about this?
HangDrum_TongueDrum
HandPan Fan

Re: Hang Drum for Sale

Postby GotHang » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:45 am

A bit of history and explanation:

The 2nd hand market went a little crazy in 2007, and a lot crazy since then.

Limited availability and increased exposure has put many folks on the path of the elusive and rare Hang. In response to the skyrocketing prices PANArt tried to do what it could to limit the pricing by instituting a contract for all new Hanghang sold by PANArt, and then to all Hanghang tuned by PANArt that grants them first rights of buy-back and forbids the owner of the Hang from reselling for more than the original sale price.

Sadly this didn't really seem to bring prices down as it had a slight tightening effect on the availability. One of the after effects is that any folks who purchase a Hang 2nd hand for more than the original purchase price will not be able to get it tuned by PANArt.

E-bay pricing fluctuates depending on the quality of the Hang, how the listing is set up, how lustful and flush the buyers are.
Last edited by GotHang on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GotHang
Can't stop talking about Handpan

Postby AmonRa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:29 am

does this mean that it's okay to buy a hang from a friend at the original price and PanArt will accept to retune it later? Do they ask for proof or something, or do they just refuse any hanghang with a different owner?

as for pricing, considering you still need to go all the way to Bern to get one, I would suppose that the original price + an average international plane return ticket cost would be "reasonable".
It would be dumb of PanArt to expect non-europeans to sell for the original
price when it costs at least the same price just to get there IMO.

This said, ebay prices are way too high for second hands you can't even check before purchase.
PanArt should endorse someone in the States to take care of exchanges and whatnot.

EDIT: after slapping myself hard across the MonaLisa, I now realise I must've been high on Halo coating vapors :p
Last edited by AmonRa on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halo Genesis 2nd Batch prototype Klezmara scale #281, (B) F# B C D# E F# G B
Halo Stratus Yu Shan Diao, in Jade Mountain Mode/Gmin Penta (G) Bb C D F G Bb C D
SPB Harmonic Minor (G) C D D# F G G# B C D
AmonRa
Steel is in my veins

Postby tubthumper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 am

Hi and welcome to this place - if you wander over here.....

http://www.hangblog.org/publications-by ... g-library/

...you can see at first hand the various missives relating to your friends situation and the consequences or otherwise of what she ultimately decides to do.

Whichever way she goes (original price or market price) I'm sure there'll be no shortage of potential buyers especially if it's in tune and damage free. She'll make good progress with her disposal if she has a current video of her Hang in action clearly showing and demonstrating the tuning.

If she decides down the path of original price I'd appreciate the chance of discussing this further - if otherwise may I wish her good luck. 8-)
tubthumper
Crazy about HandPan

Postby omrhythm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 pm

It should be noted that PanArt's policy is that the instrument not be sold for more than ORIGINAL purchase price, as paid to panart. For 1st generation, this was 300 Euro. So, even if she "gives it away" for $1500, this is not within panart policy. They take no account for the following which add to the overall ownership cost: shipping, insurance, inflation, travel to get it, currency exchange, etc. They did in fact deny a retune to someone who paid 1500 Euro for a 1st gen Hang because it was "500% profit from original price". 1500 Euro is a give-away price, so the policy is really not a policy but an statement of idealistic frustration and an imposed (attempted) control of the marketplace.

As far as what it will likely bring: if a sufficient video is provided for a legitimate sale without sketchy details (like I am travelling during the auction, etc), and the Hang is in balanced tune with itself, then it will likely fetch $4000 or more.

Good luck.
omrhythm
Steel is in my veins

Postby HangDrum_TongueDrum » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:37 am

AmonRa wrote:does this mean that it's okay to buy a hang from a friend at the original price and PanArt will accept to retune it later? Do they ask for proof or something, or do they just refuse any hanghang with a different owner?

Yes, please, does anyone know the answer to this question?

Also, Please forgive my lack of knowledge, (I know you all must get annoyed when a new comer posts a thread or question that has previously been discussed or something that is obvious to you hand pan experts), but i didnt realize until recently that hang drums, and other hand pans had to be tuned. How are they tuned and is there anyone that is truly sufficient at tuning the hang drum besides PanArt?
HangDrum_TongueDrum
HandPan Fan

Postby NickT » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:46 am

There have been other companies that have re-tuned or 'freshened up' a hang - Pantheon Steel have carried out this service and there is another person in Europe whose had their hang tuned independently, but i'm buggered if I can find their thread in the board?
www.nicktoone.com
"It is enough to just DO your art, whether it is appreciated or not." Daevid Allen
NickT
Steel is in my veins

Postby AmonRa » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:22 am

omrhythm wrote:It should be noted that PanArt's policy is that the instrument not be sold for more than ORIGINAL purchase price, as paid to panart. For 1st generation, this was 300 Euro. So, even if she "gives it away" for $1500, this is not within panart policy. They take no account for the following which add to the overall ownership cost: shipping, insurance, inflation, travel to get it, currency exchange, etc. They did in fact deny a retune to someone who paid 1500 Euro for a 1st gen Hang because it was "500% profit from original price". 1500 Euro is a give-away price, so the policy is really not a policy but an statement of idealistic frustration and an imposed (attempted) control of the marketplace.

As far as what it will likely bring: if a sufficient video is provided for a legitimate sale without sketchy details (like I am travelling during the auction, etc), and the Hang is in balanced tune with itself, then it will likely fetch $4000 or more.

Good luck.

So PanArt is hoping/expecting people will sell them first Generations back for 300 Euros? Like they're going to resell forward for 300€ too? SNORT
Halo Genesis 2nd Batch prototype Klezmara scale #281, (B) F# B C D# E F# G B
Halo Stratus Yu Shan Diao, in Jade Mountain Mode/Gmin Penta (G) Bb C D F G Bb C D
SPB Harmonic Minor (G) C D D# F G G# B C D
AmonRa
Steel is in my veins

Postby Martin0001 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:07 am

NickT wrote:There have been other companies that have re-tuned or 'freshened up' a hang - Pantheon Steel have carried out this service and there is another person in Europe whose had their hang tuned independently, but i'm buggered if I can find their thread in the board?

I've had my Hang retuned by Mr. Schulz from ECS Steeldrums in Dortmund Germany. He did an excellent job in my opinion. The Hang players I know in person share my opinion and one even had his latest first gen Hang tuned by Mr. Schulz as well. He charges €50,- an hour which is very reasonable. It took him an hour and a half to tune my Hang but man... he made it sing again.

You can send your Hang to ECS Steeldrums or you can pay them a visit. I did the last and it's very rewarding. Mr. Schulz is a kind man, and if you like steeldrums too, you're in for a treat ;)

I've made a "before" and "after" video. The URL can be found in the thread below:
http://www.handpan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1076
Please note that my playing skills have evolved since the making of the video :) :oops: Nevertheless, the vid should give you a good impression of the tuning.

So if you've bought a second hand Hang, there are other ways to have it tuned other than Panart.

Martin
Martin0001
HandPan Fan

Postby omrhythm » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:59 pm

In my travels and conversations with other hang players, I have found that there are a minimum of 5 other people on earth other than PanArt who have successfully retuned hanghang. "Successful" is a subjective concept. They are: Kyle, Mr. Schultz, Caisa Bill, The Milltone makers (if I remember that correctly....one of the tongue drum makers), a man named David in South AFrica, probably Ellie Mannette, and likely several others. I am not saying that any of these people can tune it as well as PanArt can retune it, but that they have done it before with pleasing results to the owner.
omrhythm
Steel is in my veins

Next

Return to The PANArt Hang